Like cacti, succulents do best in dry conditions. When growing aloe vera plants, plant them in a cactus potting soil mix or a regular potting soil that has been amended with additional perlite or building sand. Also, make sure that the pot has plenty of drainage holes. Aloe vera plants cannot tolerate standing water. source: gardeningknowhow.com
Growing aloe vera is very easy, it doesn’t need much care and it’s very enjoyable.
What do you need?
- A large clay pot.
- Normal potting soil to fill half the pot and peat moss for the other half.
- Gravel to be placed on the bottom of the pot to help keep it well drained.
- The cutting from an aloe vera plant that you want to cultivate.
What type of aloe vera can you choose?
You should know that there are more than 200 types of aloe vera plants. So, which should you choose? Take note of the following most popular kinds:
* ALOE ARBORESCENS: This one is considered a premium aloe vera and has an “octopus” form. It usually grows very fast and as it does, forms a shrub which can reach a height of up to 4 meters (12 feet). As for its properties, it has many, like for example treating burns, skin problems and speeding healing of tissues.
* ALOE SAPONARIA: This one has very broad, fleshy leaves, 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 inches) long, with spiny edges. It also treats skin problems, and it is good for constipation, inflammation … It is magnificent and beautiful. Although it does not grow very large.
* ALOE ARISTATA: Its central shape usually has a diameter of 15 to 30 cm (6 to 12 inches), with fleshy leaves. Besides treating the same problems as the previous ones, it is ideal for treating stings from wasps and other insects. It is very useful for home remedies and is the preferred choice to grow at home.
How do you grow the plant?
* Begin by placing the gravel in the bottom of the pot, this will help ensure good drainage to the aloe vera does not rot.
* Fill the pot half way with normal potting soil and the other half with enriched peat moss. Never use sand because the excess salt is not good for this plant.
* Place the little aloe vera plant that you have chosen in the center of the pot and cover it with soil up to the beginning of the leaves.
* The aloe vera normally grows large roots, which holds it firmly in place. Once you have planted the new aloe vera it is best not to water it for two weeks. The roots will continue to grow during this time and afterward you can give it a little water.
* The aloe vera needs sunshine, a lot of sunshine, so you can place it in a well-lit corner of your house or on the porch.
* It needs very little water, so you should only water it once every two weeks and it will grow well.
* The aloe vera does not like cold so you should protect it in the wintertime.
* It usually grows quickly and soon you will notice that additional little plants have begun to grow around it. These are its offspring, which you can pull out and plant in other pots once they reach a height of four fingers.
Using Aloe Vera Gel
For Sunburn – apply the gel directly onto a burn. You will feel the soothing and cooling immediately. Once the gel begins to dry, it can tighten the skin. If that becomes uncomfortable, just wash it off.
So that you are always ready, consider making frozen aloe gel cubes for sunburn relief. Follow the directions at Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care to make your own. Be sure to get the recipe for “exfoliating face & body wash with oatmeal” and “soothing mask with aloe and yogurt” while you’re there.
For Hair Care – Aloe Vera and Triple Herb Shampoo
// 6 Tablespoons aloe vera gel
// 2 teaspoon fresh or dried spearmint leaves
// 2 teaspoon fresh or dried nettle leaves
// 2 teaspoon fresh or dried calendula flowers
// 20 ounces boiling water
// 8 ounces castile soap
// 5 – 10 drops lavender essential oil
Pour boiling water over the spearmint, nettle and calendula, and let them steep at least 30 and up to 60 minutes. I like to use a french press. Strain the herbs and let them cool completely. If you are using fresh aloe from your own plant, mash or blend the gel (otherwise you will have aloe chunks in your shampoo). Add all ingredients together into a recycled shampoo bottle. Close lid tightly and shake well. You should also shake each time before using.
Continue Reading from the source: http://preparednessmama.com/aloe-vera-uses/