10 Health Benefits of Cauliflower
1. Cauliflower is a fat free and sodium free cruciferous vegetable.Regular intake of cruciferous vegetables reduces the risk of some type of cancers.
2. Cauliflower contains vitamins like vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine) and B9 (folic acid), minerals and disease-fighting phytochemicals.It is a good source of fiber, proteins, phosphorus,potassium and it contains a high content of Vitamin C.
3. Cauliflower contains potassium, a mineral essential for muscle and bone development.
4. Cauliflower contains compounds known as isothiocyanates which inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
5. Regular consumption of Cauliflower helps to protect our body from free radical damage as it contains powerful antioxidants like Vitamin C and carotenoids(beta-carotene).
6. Cauliflower reduces the risk of diseases caused by oxidative stress which includes cardiovascular diseases and cancer.Oxidative stress is the overload of harmful molecules called oxygen-free radicals which are generated by the body. Reducing these free radicals may reduce the risk of colon, lung, prostate, breast and other cancers.
7. Cauliflower also contains high amounts of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, which help decrease inflammation.Potentially, regular cauliflower consumption can help decrease the risk of inflammation-mediated diseases such as arthritis, obesity, diabetes mellitus, inflammatory bowel disease and ulcerative colitis.
8. Cauliflower helps to decrease the chronic inflammation and maintains the patency of the blood vessels.It also helps to keep excellent blood flow to all essential organs of the body.
9. Cauliflower contains the highest amount of glucosinolates which activates the body’s detoxification system.Research suggests that they may play a role in preventing various types of cancers.
10. Cauliflower contains allicin which helps to improve heart health and reduces the risk of strokes and selenium which works with Vitamin C helps to strengthen the immune system.It also helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.